Friday 11 July 2008

Combat Arms

Title
Developer
Publisher
Genre
ESRB Rating
Demo Release Date
Full Release Date
Platforms
Official Website
Demo Download Size
Review Date

Combat Arms
Doobic Studios
Nexon
First Person Shooter
Not Rated
11th July 2008
Unknown
PC (Reviewed)
http://combatarms.nexon.net
440MB
11th July 2008

What did I think before playing?
I've been working on Battlefield Heroes which is a free to play, cartoon style, shooter mid-session game looking for a wide audience. Combat Arms will be a competitor that looks for the more hardcore audience by delivering a more traditional, realistic FPS, which is perhaps what people would have expected of the Battlefield franchise when moving into the MSG market.

What is included?
Not sure yet, but it seems like there are several game modes and weapons to use.

What did I think afterwards?
After logging into the website with my existing Nexon account, (I have tried out Kart Rider before,) downloading the 440MB installer, setting up the game and trying to play I kept getting a cryptic error message with code 30022. I wanted to play so I tried searching for answers to my problem. The Nexon support pages were useless so I resorted to Google. As it turns out, the game has launched in open beta but only for North America, which is not mentioned anywhere on the website that I can see. Many other people on the forum thread had fallen into the same trap as myself and were less than amused.
I'll be back to review this one later, but this was a terrible first experience. I would expect many players wouldn't have found out what that error message meant, and fewer would have bothered to voice their opinion when they found out, so this must have bothered many people.

Would I buy the full game?
This is a free to play game, but you can buy yourself character customization items, such as hats and clothes. I doubt I would buy any items.

Demo Pros
It looks promising and is free!

Demo Cons
Us in the EU are locked out for now, with no indication before downloading. In fact there are two download buttons on the website; one for North America and the other the "Global Server".

Demo Rating 1 / 10

Thoughts after playing the full game?
If I play the full game I will put comments here about whether I feel the demo was representative of the final product and if I am happy with the purchase.

Sales Figures
If I can find sales information about a game after it has been released I'll add that here. It may be useful to track demos to sales performance.

No comments: